Friday, May 09, 2008

New Orleans, Day 9

Dear Em,

Today was our last day working for the St. Bernard Project. As I mentioned, they are another amazing group here that are helping many families get back into their homes. They've build 128 homes so far and are working on 30 more right now. It's amazing.

We spent our day working on finishing the texturing, priming and putting on the first coat of paint on the walls and ceilings. We finished two big rooms as well as one bathroom. Also, during the day, siding (covering for the outside of the house) and flooring was delivered. Next week, there will be nine new volunteers working on the house to take care of that.

In the morning, Carmelite came by with Dakota. Dakota had been sick in the emergency room last night but was feeling better and was looking forward to her birthday party this weekend. (Her birthday is Tuesday.) I went to the store and bought her some presents, including a magnadoodle (since you like them), a ball like the dirty one that was under their trailer when it was taken away, and a stuffed dog that looks like Calvin.

Here's a picture of her in front of the house:



I'm running out of batteries, so that'll have to do for now. If you have time, look at the trip blog the church is hosting:

http://firstcong.blogspot.com/

I Love You!
-Dad

No comments: